Waiting

Like Sherlock Holmes is invigorated by a good mystery, I am invigorated by a good storm.

In the five years we have lived here, the east coast has entertained us with turbulent weather. We endured two week-long power outages caused by massive icestorms. Hurricane Irene rattled our windowss and and at least four blizzards have humbled us.

Quite a change from New Mexico’s hazy, stingy sandstorms.

We are prepared. An army of batteries organized by size  sits next to our flashlights. Our generator has been tested and overhauled by my husband. Boxes of canned food wait to be refused by my son.

Best wishes to my fellow East Coasters.

Here are some remembrances from storms past:

Ham and Candle Party Hurricapocalypse!
How I Prepared My Asperger’s Child For Hurricane Irene Irene’s Party

A final note. I was exceptionally stressed out last week and I am still catching up on all the lovely comments. I appreciate your visits and read everything you share. I will be caught up soon. Thank you for your understanding!

Comments

1. jess says:

good luck wishes with that storm from the cold but calm uk. sure your organisational skills and sense of humour will serve you well. look forward to hearing all about it

Oh! Thank you for the vote of confidence! All the anxiety did channel into organizing. My son decided to categorize all the pillows and towels in the house. I should have taken a picture! I appreciate the well-wishes and cheer!

2. I love a good storm and weather whatnot! I have to remember not to go out and chase a tornado or get pictures of lightening crashing around my home. I enjoyed the fascinating hurricane weather where we used to live. I only wish the amazing powers of weather did not bring such destruction and suffering at times. My thoughts are with you and everyone on the East Coast!

It would be a blast if we could (slightly) endanger ourselves together! The beauty and drama of natural phenomena is so spectacular, I sometimes wish I could fly to check things out personally.

I agree completely with you, it is saddening that exciting weather causes human suffering. It tinges my joy with grief.

I hope all is well for you!

3. Life&Ink says:

A childhood spent in Ft. Lauderdale, FL living 10 blocks from the ocean and I never experienced a hurricane. You live in New Hampshire and this is your second. Go figure! Stay safe and eat cake. Meanwhile I will be trying to get REO Speedwagon’s Riding The Storm Out out of my head!!! 🙂

Ha! I am old enough to remember having a 45 with that song on it! 🙂

Wow! I am amazed that you escaped hurricanes. It seems like every time I heard the word “hurricane,” Florida was in the same sentence!

Despite widespread power outages, we fared well. Our worst enemy was boredom, but glitter glue has magical restorative powers to the soul!

4. Pat says:

Yay glitter glue! I had many fantasies this week about us sitting in your living room, telling cool stories by candle light, and listening to Mother Nature howling outside. Glad you weathered the storm, and I only wish I could be there.

Yay! I could have really used the cheer! Monday was not too bad but Tuesday, I struggled with tired/bored.

I did some crafties anyway, but they were sad crafties. Next storm, you need to fly out or skype-craft with me!