Social Media Axiety

Social media is a blessing to me. I interact with few people in real life, so my internet acquaintances give me a sense of companionship and community.

Yet, I struggle with social media anxiety. I gaze at glowing pages of insightful words.  I read and react—internally.

I long to respond, but my thoughts are like a shattered vase. The effort to restore the vase, splinter by splinter, dazzles me.  I return to an easier task, usually a visual or intellectual project.

Why do in flit in and out of the social media scene?

Part of it is diminished social need.  I don’t reach out, I draw in. I reflect, dissect and recharge.  My social interaction capacity is finite and largely consumed by my family. Excess mental energy fuels forays into Twitter, Facebook, and blogdom.

My intolerance of change also impacts my participation in social media. Small events disrupt my equilibrium, fueling anxiety. I freeze up. Tyoma’s trip to the emergency room left me with a few quivery, obsessive days. Larger occurrences interrupt the flow of my life—I must use all my strength to manage my responsibilities. Little remains for cheery comments or thoughtful dialogue.

Schedule changes, unexpected home maintenance, visits from relatives—despite my reaction to them, these are small changes.  A profound change impacts your thinking and outlook. Tyoma’s autism diagnosis was a profound change.

And now, we face another prodigious change. Like Tyoma’s autism diagnosis, this will transform our life in wonderful and unexpected ways.  I am not managing my online relationships well while I wrestle with new information.

Tourette's Awareness

I shall return, soon.

XO

Comments

1. XO Lori. If it means anything, I get the same way. It is tiring. Regarding your news, is is a gift to witness Tyoma grow into his true self, whatever that is.

Thank you so much for the kind words. Although I am working hard to restore myself, I adjust to new information just like any change. Sloooooowly! My default is deep thought. I am not sad, just…thinking.

I really appreciate your support. I am so relieved to understand why we have been having certain issues. It’s as much of a blessing as his autism diagnosis. Information is power, and a massive coping tool! 🙂 I am glad you let me a comment. Thanks.

XO

Thank you. Please know I am a collage artist. My only skill is being very, very compulsive and eternally patient.

Even more XO,

2. Life and Ink says:

And we shall await your return Lori. You take care of yourself and your family as that is what matters above all else.

All my best.

Charlotte

3. Sonia Boue says:

Hi Lori,

I totally understand. I love your blog. Look forward to seeing you online when you get back 😉

Sonia

Thank you Sonia. I feel such relief hearing that you understand. Sometimes the cogs in my brain can only turn so far. I’m off for an oil can. It means a lot for you to visit and encourage me.

4. seventhvoice says:

Great post. I can so relate. Will look forward to reading more or your posts when you return. Take care = )

Thank you! Sometimes I imagine that I am the only person who can’t face the internet. I am glad for you sharing.

5. rebelmommy says:

Beautiful artwork as always. I relate as well. Just take care of you and yours.

Thank you, thank you. It means so much to me to connect with other moms and friends on the spectrum, I feel so inadequate when I cannot muster a sensible reply. It helps me to no end to have so much support. Thank for being a part of it.

6. coyotetooth says:

The beauty of social media; especially with Aspies, is timelessness. Hope all is well, and I know I’ll be looking for your voice upon return.

Good grief, how true! It is easier by far to type a delayed messge than to produce myself physically and explain! I appreciate the comment and all the visits you make to me. It keeps me writing and collaging. 🙂

7. I think I know what you mean. Sometimes, I feel okay putting my thoughts out there with relative ease, but not so much with any two way interaction. Replying to others, or even just leaving comments like this one is hard. It takes lots of time and effort for me.

Good thoughts sent your way. 🙂

Thank you Shawna. Your visit and comment mean a great deal to me. I feel better knowing I am not alone in this. I seem to be able to write ideas or stories down with more ease than responses. I appreciate the work you do with your site and FB. Your dedication to help and support others is admirable.

8. Once again you’ve managed to articulate so much (to me at least) with very few words.

Most of what you wrote here resonated very strongly with me, in particular ‘I don’t reach out, I draw in’, in relation to what you describe as your diminished social need with social media.

I often find myself retreating from social media, the most remote form of social interaction available to me and for the same reasons you describe.

Thanks for sharing this.