Distribution of Books in Downstairs Library

Distribution Of Books In Our Downstairs Library

Heh. Over the summer, I had some extreme boredom moments when my son fell ill. Since my sick boy needed me nearby, I asked, “What can I do with myself and still be 5 feet away?”

I decided to categorize all my downstairs books and plot the distribution on a bubble graph. Since this wasn’t quite fancy enough, I extracted and “steampunked” the bubbles. This turned into a week long labor of  Asperger Love.

I am compelled to add, that the distribution does not include  all my books. If it did, the short story and atlas book numbers would triple. I have crates of  short stories in the spare room plus a stack of atlases next to my bed.

Yay books!

ETA: I am taking some time to read my best buddy’s novel. So I’m sharing my love of books and charts with you!

Original Bubble Graph after the jump.

The numbers are the numbers of books in each category.

Digital elements: Marta VanEck, Google charts.

Comments

1. alienhippy says:

Cool…and now I feel kinda “normal-ish” in an aspie way.
    I have to have my books categorized too, but I have to have them on different book shelves and in different rooms.
    I also have my films categorized, they have their own shelve and all kids films have pride of place (I love Disney)
    I also have a collection of mood mugs that I am designing a wall hanger for, all arty of course.
    Love and hugs my friend.
    Lisa. xx 🙂

Hoorah for collections! Oddly my books are physically categorized by color. I can mentally picture where each book is because I can remember what it looks like.

My son would love your Disney collection. Their animations are a feast for the eyes!

Happy Day!

• alienhippy says:

hehehe…I have my books organised by size. I have to have larger books at each end of the shelf getting smaller towards the middle. My dyslexia doesn’t enjoy it any other way. I too can picture each one. My films are kept in order of favourite. Top shelf is for favoured and watched WAY TOO many times, working my way down to least favourite at the bottom.
        As for my Disney film…they have their own book case. 🙂

Yay! I have a special intrest in grim topics. Mary Roach books and Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues are a few faves!

Thank you for stopping by, it’s nice to meet folks with similar interests! 🙂

I love the graphic! (and the idea). Which software did you make the original bubble graph in? (sorry if I am ignorant)

Hmmmm. It was free from google. Our old computer crashed, which had the bookmark on it. I’ll see if I can find out. I’ll post a link for you! 🙂

• Mados says:

Ah, Google… hard to keep up to date with the river of product innovations. I can find it myself.

Do you know ‘Google Sketch-up’ … A great play-being-an-architect toy… old one. but super-cool. Most people don’t know about it.

Pure Awesomesness!!!

I am on a bubble kick today, which is funny since you have a “Bubble Graph”! Books, books, books! I love books! I have three bookshelves full in my bedroom all categorized and lined perfectly on the edges making beautiful eye candy. I have a bookshelf next my computer full of home school, educational, therapy, theories, myths, science book on EVERYTHING, etc… Ha ha ha And the front room has three bookshelves full of the kids books all categorized… as neatly as possible. I have tons hidden in my closet, boxes in the garage, and I still want more!

AND I love not only saying, but finding anything “steampunked”. Hee hee Steampunk, steampunk, steampunk, now I’ve been steampunked, steampunked,steampunked. La la la Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, books, books, books, Yea! Books. Alright now I am just out of control and have to force myself to stop or my silliness will really get out of control!

Your image rocks! I love the graph. I was thinking last night of trying to draw gears. Hmm… I have a thing for gears. 🙂 MAybe I will go try yo draw some today.

You bubbliness is infectious! I wonder if half the joy of having a book collection is organizing it! The possibilities are magnificent!

I have the giggles myself from imagining you saying “steampunk.” Don’t some words have a magical rhythm to them? One of the joys of an obssessive mind is the pleasant echoing of peculiar words! 🙂

Thank you for dropping by. I’d love to see your gear drawings! Perhaps with a ringing rhyme to accompany?

Yay!

To answer the question: I can’t imagine being bored unless told to do boring work, in which case that is what I would do (reluctantly).

However, my typical recreational activities are very compatible with a having to stay in one place – What comes to mind first: write, communicate online, read (especially explore favourite topics via the Internet), play with visual software, play with music software, explore other software, apps and online gadgets, make systems to organise all sorts of stuff both tangible (things) and intangible (information), do little training games with the dogs… and just reflect about past events and develop ideas.

You book-genre charting activity looks like great fun too, that’s definitely something I could have done too. Except I would probably try to make extended use of it by for example sharing it in a blog post… Oh wait, that’s precisely what you did!;-)

5. azsoap says:

I love books and steampunk! winning! My biggest bubble would be presidential memoirs. My weirdest bubble would be “obsession”. I love that you have crates of short stories and atlases. That makes me so curious!

Hey AZ!

Sorry for the late response, we have had stomach bug #469 late this week!

How interesting presidential memoirs must be! I have scattered historical books that discuss the presidents. What remarkable people the history makers are!

So you like the topic of “obsession?” Cool! I’ll have to check out some non-fiction. Mostly I’ve watched the TV programs on obsessions, wondering about the people behind the disorder. Very interesting! 🙂

Thank you for dropping by!