Our Cottage

My mom loves to sightsee and explore, so her visits require an adventure or two.

Mom and I plan careful vacations. We reserve the same rooms at the same hotel in Maine. I pack stuffed animals, favorite books, blankets and pillows. The printer overheats from maps, schedules and lists.

Despite the planned routines and familiarity, the excitement still overwhelms my son. Bedtime is grueling.

I understand him. I don’t welcome sleep, especially in a new place. Creaks, pops and distant chatter jostle my brain into flurries of anxious activity. Only the hum of my Holmes HAP242 brings peace. The air purifier’s filter failed long ago, but the fan makes the sweetest white noise.

If I am troubled by environmental nuances, then my son is exponentially sensitive. A hotel room is alive with thousands of thought-provoking details. He cannot slow himself down. Bedtime devolves into screams, laughter and mischief.

Two weeks ago, they closed the wing of our favorite hotel.

We would not have our usual quiet corner to grind through our evening frenzies. We would need to lodge in the main building, next to the lobby.

The only thing worse than nocturnal Aspie rages is proximity to other people.  We rented a cottage.

Removing ourselves from the hotel setting perfected our vacation. True, the stimulation of a new place caused a hubbub, but the freedom to make unlimited racket was precious.

After two days, I understood the full depth of my hotel anxiety.  Jogging down the stairs, singing at top volume, I whisked my deteorating nightgown, side to side. I thought, “How nice to indulge myself in my usual silliness.”  Still singing, I whirled into the kitchen. A good  vacation lets you be yourself.

Comments

1. Aspergirl Maybe says:

How great that an unexpected change brought something good into your life! Sounds like a lovely vacation. 🙂

‘How nice to indulge myself in my usual silliness.’

and

‘A good vacation lets you be yourself’.

Lovely… Precisely.

but what I wanted to say is: nice collage. It looks like a child’s princess drawing with the castle & its tower to the right (I know it is the cottage, but still) and slightly ironical stars in the night sky.

4. A Quiet Week says:

Thank you! I try hard to capture my feelings with images. Connecting with domeone who “gets it” is a treat!

Oh, yes so many things I can relate to here. On our move here, we had to stay at a hotel twice, and it was awful.
    I usually cannot sleep in hotels at all.

I did not do well while mom and I were in Savannah, but I did better than expected. I slept with my three little stuffed animals; I was covered in pillows, and heavy blankets. The sounds, smells, air temp, and “different” space got to me a bit, but pure social exhaustion managed to force my eyes shut.

Your cottage stay sounded wonderful. What a great idea to get a cottage instead. I felt like I was there with you singing down the stairs. 🙂

On a side note, because I am completely in love with your art! Do you draw your own figures? Your girls are beautiful. All of your pieces have so many wonderful details and spring off a feel good vibe to me.

Boy, do we travel the same. I bring my favorite pillows and pile on the blankets, even then it is difficult to sleep in a new place. I was the one girl who never slept at slumber parties and wanted to go home immediately since I’d had quite enough of everything.

I am so pleased that you like my collages! I use elements from from many other artists to put together a picture, but I don’t do the figures myself. The style I like is inspired by Suzi Blu (http://suziblu.typepad.com/). I am teaching myself how to draw pretty faces, but nothing satisfies me except doodles–which don’t have to look like anything in particular! 🙂