Boston, Day 1

After bidding Tennisfiend goodbye at 4:00 am this morning, I managed to get a touch of rest before setting off to Boston.   We left around 2pm with Mom perched in the backseat to entertain Tyoma as I drove. An hour later, when traffic and off-ramps started to multiply, I realized that the sound from the back seat becomes amplified by a factor of four when I don’t know where I am going. The normally quiet clicking of his Monkey Speller sounded like a tiny ball peen hammer rapping on the windshield behind me. My grumpy complaints clued Tyoma into the excitement of whizzing cars and precipitous exits and he began repeating his interpretation of everything the GPS says. Mom, a bit anxious and trying to be helpful also piped up, adding to my distraction and frustration. Mom I can ask to be quiet, but Tyoma has to be stuffed with cheesy-poofs to ensure silence. We ran out of cheesy-poofs.

Our hotel, a Holiday Inn Express, looked surprisingly worn and shabby. I had forgotten the difference between big city and suburban accommodations. We could have been in an unlovely segment of France specifically built for budget-minded Americans. The narrow sooty streets, ancient misshapen pavement and clunky undersized elevators were much the same. Our third floor room was hot, close and dark. After partially unpacking, we discovered that the air conditioner was missing its dials and segments of paneling. It did not work. The only window was sealed closed and painted over at the bottom. To circulate the air, we turned on a dilapidated desk fan which creaked halfheartedly, tipped precariously to the left and ceased to function.

I fumed down the heaving elevator, ready for a fight if they did not give us a new room. The girl at the front desk cheerfully gave us a new room, as if we were expected to refuse our room, but had to be sent there anyway–for procedure’s sake.

What a difference the change made! For the same price we got double the room and six times the windows—a spacious corner room overlooking an athletic center and the adjacent building. It was difficult to believe that the two rooms existed in the same hotel. True, our light and airy room was a bit neglected but it was far lovelier than the tumbledown closet they sent us to first. After a hasty unpacking, we took off for a nearby pub which prided itself as the “Best Sports Bar in America.” Exhausted, I did not savor my delicious meal of ribs as I should have, but the red wine was incredibly tasty.  Tyoma was nodding off by the time we strolled back to our room. He conked out immediately while mom and I giggled and packed away leftover dinner.

Agreeing that an early bedtime was best, we crawled into our respective beds at a reasonable 8:30. A half an hour later we discovered that dance studio directly across from us had rehearsals. They practiced a jazzy West Side Story musical that made the windows vibrate. With the lights out we watched the sharks and jets fight it out. Mom commented that at last, it felt like an east coast city. I fell asleep marveling, amazed to be in Boston and excited about our upcoming trip to the aquarium tomorrow.

I ♥ Comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.