I suspect that our swimming pool is sentient. It is obviously warmer and more buoyant than other pools and it even seems to quiver with gratitude when I haul out the cleaning equipment. Most convincing of all are the sacrifices. Every week, particularly on Fridays, I find a bloated body conveniently circling the skimmer intake. Usually it’s a lizard or toad, occasionally a bird. As a rule, I recover the offerings, since E has a morbid horror of anything remotely reptilian (and dead).

After a year and a half of collecting pool victims, I had yet to rescue a living creature. But today was different! Inspecting the latest casualty, I noticed a feeble wriggling, almost obscured by the whirling induced by the skimmer. It was an upside down toad, which had cleverly managed to float himself at an angle to keep his nostrils above the water.

After putting the toad in a peaceful place to recover from his ordeal, I spent the balance of the afternoon constructing a toad-proof section of fence around the pool. I think the pool will have to content itself with birds and lizards for a time.

Comments

I don’t why your old posts pop up in my newsfeed, but I am quite happy about it… Lovely to read, at seems like they did not have much audience yet back when they were posted:-)

All that is missing is the illustrations:-)

I want to click “Like” on this one, but right now I can’t… the Like button is greyed out. I will try to remember to do it later:-)

Thank you so much. I’ve been having a miserable time with depression of late and I have been re-visiting old posts to add images.

This blog started on Livejournal, went to blogger, and was finally imported to wordpress, so the posts are often formatted wonky or images are missing.

So when I am blue, I go back and fix formatting problems or even add an image (This post has a new image, just now!) This might be why they appear on your feed!

I thank you so much for visiting. I deeply appreciate your comments, though it takes me some time to respond!

• Mados says:

Good idea to go back and illustrate the old posts. Your old posts (well, all the posts) are very visually inspiring. They trigger strong vivid images in the mind and seem like they would like a visible visual expression to balance the situation:-)

I am very sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. I feel like asking in to it, but I don’t want to be intrusive and insensitive. Please don’t hesitate to let me know if I can do anything or be of help in any way. I feel very blessed to know you, and I’m here (on the other side of the Earth… but still… that doesn’t matter in our age of technology) and feel some sort of kinship. And I want to help or support if I can.

Ps. There is no deadline at all for responding to my comments! but it is lovely to read your responses.

• Mados says:

(Feel, not feet… sorry. Damn typos) I don’t know if you’ll see this, but your typo made me belly-laugh! And corrected, because we are cut from the same cloth. πŸ™‚

Thank you so much. Your words buoy me. I want to say some eloquent thing, but instead I shall send you a vase of flowers–I’ve almost finished the image. Kinship, indeed. πŸ™‚

It took me longer than I expected! I enjoyed making this very much. I hope this posts! πŸ™‚

D’oh! The wrong version was uploaded to flickr. I’ll try again….

Boquet for Mados

Thank you so much! I like it very much! The red things remind me of berries… I can see how they would taste;-)

The shape the bouquet is sitting in, is that an ear?

Ah, yes, an ear. I was so excited to send it to you I forgot you can’t read my mind! It’s to appreciate one “hearing” you without words. One of the first posts I read by you concerned background noise, that and the silent support made me think ear=vase. I hope that makes sense! πŸ™‚

• Mados says:

It does, very much! (I thought the meaning was something like that! … just wanted to confirm if it was in fact an ear)

Thank you so very much… I even like it more the more I look at it.

Can I post it on my blog? I would like to post is both by itself (when I figure out which text to go with it), and in my “Thank you” post (because it suits the theme of feeling grateful), and as a small sidebar image.

Of course! I’d be delighted! If it’s okay, I’ll link to you from my next article, which has to do with re-directing one’s energies to positive things. Sometime in the next year we should guest post for each other. It would be fun! πŸ™‚ So glad you liked my pic!

• Mados says:

Thank you.

And of course you can link to me… I’d love that!

Great idea with guest posting… I would love to feature a guest post from you! As for myself, I’m already getting performance anxiety now.

• Mados says:

Hi Lori.

I have posted your image and written a post with it:-) I hope you don’t mind.

I will put it in the sidebar and the other post when it passes down a bit.

Thanks again:-)

Anna

You are such a sweet person! Thank you for sharing. May I share your post on FB? And also, the idea of being on a sidebar is soooo cool! πŸ™‚

• Mados says:

Thank you!

And of course:-) You can always share what you want without asking. But thanks for asking anyway:-) I see your point with asking about Facebook because my blog is anonymous, but we don’t have the same Facebook network anyway (~ my mother & aunties & so on are not in your network…. I presume;-), so that doesn’t matter.

I β™₯ Comments!